by Lindsay Hall, Senior in Nutrition and Dietetics
approximately 300 calories total
- 1 large zucchini
- 3 oz lean beef
- 1 red pepper
- ¼ cup low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbs onion
- 1 tbs taco seasoning
- Non-stick cooking spray
Necessary Tools & Utensils:
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
- Small saute pan
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees. Cut the zucchini lengthwise in half and scoop out the centers onto a cutting board, leaving ¼ inch thick shells. Place the shells on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Chop the zucchini pulp, onion, and pepper into small pieces. Cook on medium-high heat in a sauté pan until slightly tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add the lean beef to the same sauté pan, add the taco seasoning, and cook until the meat is fully cooked and the internal temperature has reached 165 degrees.
- Add the beef to the cooked vegetables and mix thoroughly together.
- Fill the zucchini boats with the beef and vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake the zucchini boats in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the zucchini is tender and the cheese has melted.